Friday, February 8, 2013

DIY Frosted Candle Holders

Hey, Hey Birdies! I hope everyone has had a FABULOUS Friday! Mine was pretty low key which was just what I needed. I began a couponing experiment for all of you, spent the afternoon with my mom and brother then came home to my sweet hubby! The cherry on top was making a super easy frosted candle holder for Valentine's Day. It satisfied my lazy mood AND my desire to let the creative juices flow. Here was the result!

www.thechirptree.blogspot.com
This project has been trapped in my brain for a while so I finally had to let it out! The candle holder was kind of my lab rat. I needed to test my idea out before I went crazy and frosted everything in sight. Since this was so easy and inexpensive I can definitely see myself making more of these for our house and for others as a gift. I have total confidence that any crafter, from a novice to Martha Stewart, could put these together in a jiffy!

To make, follow the steps listed below....
1. Gather your supplies: inexpensive glass candle holders (mine are from The Dollar Tree), stickers in the design you want on your glass, tape, sponge brush, frost paint (found in the glass painting section at your local craft store.)


2. After washing and drying your candle holders, place the stickers of your choice onto the glass. I just chose a simple heart.

3. If you would like to add some contrast to your "frost" design, apply some decorative tape or, in my case, some stickers in the shapes of straight lines. These were wonderful to use!


4 & 5. Squirt some of the frost glass paint onto a paper plate. I used Gallery Glass brand which I found at Hobby Lobby. Recommendation: Do not use a colored plate. It may pull some of the color off and mix into the paint. Ask me how I know. ;-)


6 & 7. Dab your sponge brush into the paint. Blot the brush once or twice onto the plate before applying to the glass so that it is not applied too thickly. A quick stippling motion will work perfectly and I suggest letting it dry then slapping on another coat.



8. Once the paint is COMPLETELY DRY, slowly and carefully peel off your stickers and tape. When doing something for myself, I tend to not be patient and somehow expect miracles to happen...like expecting the paint to dry in 1 minute. Against the advice of my husband, I peeled the sticker and tape off while the paint was still, ever-so-slightly, tacky. Unlike me, you should heed my husband's advice and, "Wait a little longer." My candle holder turned out fine but once my anxious fingers started ripping the decal off, I could tell that he was right....I won't tell him if you won't. :-)



9. Pop in a candle and enjoy the "frosty" ambiance.

Love is in the air! 
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and if any free time is to be had, give these a whirl! Give them as gifts or put some candles in to "set the mood" at home. See you on Monday for step #2 of Coup-On Keepin' On!  :-)

Have you ever made frosted glass candle holders before? Would you use a heart or something else? 

Have a great night and thanks for reading!

20 comments:

  1. My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post's to be what precisely I'm looking for.
    Do you offer guest writers to write content for you?
    I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on a number of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome weblog!

    My website; Yoga southern suburbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you and your spouse are enjoying the blog! Thank you for the sweet comment. :-) I am always open to the idea of guests posts. I will check out your blog and we can take it from there. Thanks again for visiting the site! Be sure to follow. :-)

      Delete
  2. I drop a comment whenever I appreciate a article on a site or if I have something to contribute to the discussion.
    It's caused by the sincerness communicated in the article I browsed. And after this post "DIY Frosted Candle Holders". I was excited enough to post a comment :-) I actually do have some questions for you if it's allright.

    Is it just me or do some of these comments appear like coming from brain dead individuals?
    :-P And, if you are writing on additional social sites, I would like to keep up with anything new you have to post.

    Could you make a list the complete urls of all your communal sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?


    My web page :: know more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this post excited you enough to comment. I love comments! :-) On the right side bar there are links to all of the social networking sites I use (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) I would love for you to follow me on here and connect with me on those other sites. Thanks for reading! :-)

      Delete
  3. I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly.
    I am quite certain I'll learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

    Feel free to visit my webpage; More Info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and thanks for bookmarking! Hope you enjoy what you find here! :-)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, its pleasant post on the topic of media print,
    we all be familiar with media is a impressive source
    of data.

    Here is my blog post :: website

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article offers clear idea designed for the new viewers
    of blogging, that genuinely how to do blogging.

    Also visit my website stage hire Gauteng

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heya! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the fantastic work!

    My webpage: vip marquee hire Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, hey! Thanks! I am so glad you are enjoying the ol' blog. ;-) I have a lot of fun stuff coming up so be sure to stop by and tell your friends! :-)

      Delete
  8. Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace
    group? There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

    my site :: Tattoos Port Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yeah, just link back here. The more the merrier! Have a FABULOUS Friday! :-)

      Delete
  9. Hey there terrific blog! Does running a blog such as this require a large amount of work?
    I have very little knowledge of computer programming however I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
    Anyways, should you have any recommendations or techniques for new blog owners please share.
    I understand this is off topic nevertheless I just had to
    ask. Thank you!

    my website - event services Johannesburg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, hey! Glad you are enjoying The Chirp Tree! :-) It can take a lot of work but it can also be pretty easy....I know that sounds like conflicting information but what I mean is that it can be whatever you want. You just have to go into it with a plan and a willingness to learn. I have just the basics of computer knowledge and can kind of muddle my way through but if I get stuck I search the web and cross my fingers that I find the solution to my problem. What I recommend doing is making a blogging schedule for yourself (do what works for you and don't put pressure on yourself because that takes the fun out of it), start with blogger (blogger.com), and visit thecutestblogontheblock.com. They have a ton of free blog designs plus some great tutorials! I hope this helps and good luck! Send me a link of your blog and I will be sure to check it out! :-)

      Delete
  10. Good day! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's
    new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be bookmarking and checking back often!



    My webpage wall decor Cape Town

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy I am so grateful I found your site, I really
    found you by accident, while I was browsing on
    Askjeeve for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a incredible post and a
    all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have
    time to go through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I
    will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the awesome b.


    Here is my web-site landscapers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peculiar article, totally what I was looking for.


    Feel free to surf to my blog post :: business registration pty and trust

    ReplyDelete
  13. This winter I am in charge of a party for girls in our church ages 8-12. We are having an event with their father's and so we want to make decorations. It will be around Christmas time so we thought that candle holders like this would be really cute. Thanks for the instructions on how to make these candle holders. http://www.giftworldshowcase.com/default.asp?dept_id=45010

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love the look of these frosted candle holders! It sounds like they aren't too difficult to make, which sounds like just my kind of project! I would really like to find some cute tickers that I can use, maybe do some lettering as well. I'm also thinking that these would probably make some really cute gifts, something that I can give to all my friends that would be really cute. Thanks for the excellent step by step! http://www.giftent.com/listing.asp?dept_id=45230&nopopup=1

    ReplyDelete