Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Potato Velvet Soup

Hey Birdies and Happy Tuesday! From a comfortable, sweatshirt wearing 50 degrees to a shivering mid-20's, we have gone through quite the weather change in the past 24 hours. I can hardly wait to pull my spring clothes out of hiding and say farewell to winter, however, there is something nice about cooler temps I like to keep around......potato soup. Not just any potato soup, mind you, but Potato Velvet Soup. I remember exactly where I was when I first inhaled ate this delectable comfort food and that was at my Nana's house, where all good things came from. My Nana is an amazing cook and an even more amazing person, one that I hope to be like some day. "Baby steps" I tell myself so with Potato Velvet Soup I begin.

Gather the spuds you want to use. For my husband and I, I used about 5 or 6 potatoes. This will feed us for several meals.

Wash then carefully peel your potatoes. 
Chop those taters in small cubes.
I'd suggest using low sodium broth but not for potato soup meant to be consumed on a blistery winter's night. It's against the rules. Somewhere in a handbook is written, "It is best to not mind calories or sodium when warmth and soupiness are the needs of the hour." I used one container of broth, just enough to cover the tops of the potatoes.
Simmer the potatoes in the broth and let it come to a boil. Boil for approximately 20 minutes or until potatoes are completely tender and easily mashable. 

Yes, mash! You will be amazed how the potatoes fall apart and almost melt.  With each stir and mash the  potatoes soon, most definitely, become "velvet-y." 
After this step I added some salt and pepper, about a tablespoon of butter and some sour cream. Use as much or as little as you'd like. I stirred and that was all I needed to do. My potatoes were pretty smooth, however, if yours still aren't quite smooth enough, carefully pour into a blender. Puree till you gain the consistency you want. Then you are done! Feel free to top with cheese and chives or just dig right in. There is no right or wrong way to eat it. There are many different types of potato soup recipes out there. Some are loaded with ingredients like ham and broccoli. Some are infused with cheese. I'm a fan of all types but I must say! Not much can beat the beautiful simplicity that this recipe offers. It is easy and delish! No matter how many times I have had it, the first bite always warms and comforts me. I hope it does the same for you! Nana wouldn't want it any other way! ;-)


When cooler temps arrive, do you have a go-to dish that just can't be beat? What is your favorite way to eat potato soup?

Until next time, thanks for reading and have a great night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment