Thursday, April 25, 2013

Restaurant Style Grilled Chicken

Hello, Birdies! Do you smell that?? Ah, yes. The scent of gas and charcoal grills alike are being lit up for another season of burgers, hot dogs, and {my personal favorite} chicken with those famous grill marks. Mmmmm! Nothing like this time of year. Because I was sick of the wicked winter we had, I embraced the warm temps by firing up our Weber. My wonderful in-laws gave us our Weber grill as a wedding present so it has been a staple in my spring and summer cooking from day one and without fail, every year, my husband will ask for my grilled chicken.
via
This marinade is easy, healthy, and saves me from cooking over a hot stove in an already humid environment. Bleh! Who wants to do that? Not this girl. Why does he request my chicken you might ask? You all know how great restaurant grilled chicken can be, right? Like just the perfect amounts of tang and spices and grilly goodness? Well one day I needed a quick dinner so I kind of just threw a whole bunch of stuff into a plastic bag, tossed in some chicken, and hoped for the best. To my surprise and to my husband's delight it was like we were eating that fabulous "restaurant" chicken we adore. It had just the right amount of everything and ever since then I have made it as soon as grill season rolls around. You can too! Here is what you need:

Lemon, Sea Salt, Balsamic Vinegar, Extra Light olive oil, Bay Leaves, chives, chili powder, pepper, garlic salt, and red pepper flakes.

2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (I prefer it thinly sliced; if you can't find it thinly sliced, pound it out with a meat mallott)
3/4 cup of Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Tbsp - 1 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
1/2 of a lemon, just the juice
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 -1 Tbsp. chives, chopped
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
4 or more Bay leaves

1. Heat up your grill to at least 400 F.
2. Pour all of the ingredients, except the chicken and the lemon, into a gallon sized plastic bag.
3. Squeeze the juice of the lemon in the bag.
4. Place chicken in the bag and seal it while removing as much air as possible. Next, massage the chicken with the marinade {through the bag.}
5. Allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but preferably for several hours or overnight.
6. Once the grill is at the appropriate temperature, with tongs lay your chicken breasts on the grill. I try to make sure I get at least one bay leaf on each chicken. (Be sure to remove those suckers before eating!) Close the lid and allow each side to cook till there is no more pink in the middle. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of at least 165 F..
7. With a clean set of tongs, remove the fully cooked chicken onto a plate and allow to rest. Do not cut into the chicken right away or else it will dry out. While it "rests" it absorbs the juices and flavors making for a more moist piece of meat.

We like to eat this chicken with our favorite fruits and veggies! Our top choice is usually grilled corn. For that, I lightly butter up some corn on the cob, place it in a foil pouch, fill it with the same seasonings as my chicken, seal up the pouches and grill for about 10 minutes. Delish!

I actually measured this out for you all because normally I just wing it, sprinkling as much as I think I will need. Feel free to do the same. These measurements are just to give you an idea. Be careful placing the chicken on the grill because it might flame up at first....at least it does for me. Fire + Anna = not always a good combo. I will actually make a few pieces at a time even though Eric and I will only eat one piece each. I reserve the other pieces for salads, sandwiches or soups. This marinade provides so much flavor that it can add pizzazz to any meal like these wraps!



Mmmm! Now I'm getting hungry. Time to fire up the grill! What is your favorite thing to grill out? I am thinking about grilling some peaches and using them as a garnish for vanilla ice cream....has any one ever tried that before? I hope you enjoy this marinade as much as we do. Let me know what you think! 

Thanks for stopping by! HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment