Wednesday, July 31, 2013

31 Days To Clean: Asking Why

Hey, hey, hey! I'm starting a new challenge tomorrow and, to tell you the truth, I am pretty excited about it! I am reading "31 Days To Clean: Having a Martha House the Mary Way" by Sarah Mae. The author's book actually comes from her blog 31 Days to Clean. Be sure to check her out for she is the mastermind behind all of this! This book is all about cleaning but not just how to clean. Sarah focuses more on the "why" of cleaning. You may be wondering, "Why ask why? It's just cleaning." But I think it is important to ask yourself "why?" from time to time. It puts things back into focus, it helps you to root out the bad and to plant the good. The author says she is not naturally a person that is drawn to cleaning. I, on the other hand, am. For the most part. I am not going to say I have some picture perfect Martha Stewart-esque home. I don't (not yet at least....muahahaha) but I actually enjoy cleaning and I like things to be in order as much as possible. And hey! There is always room for improvement, right?

So if that is the case why am I reading this book and why am I excited about it? Well as much I like breaking out the broom, duster, and vacuum I don't feel like I have a good rhythm, if that makes sense. I have a 40 hour work schedule but the times I work vary from week to week. Literally, no week is ever the same so I feel like I don't have a balance. Some weeks I feel like Superwife and other weeks, eh...not so much. For about a year now that has really bugged me and it honestly gets me down. I feel like I am not being the me that I want to be. Lately I have been getting better as I have made a schedule but even still some days certain tasks fall to the wayside and then what happens is I rush around on my days off trying to get everything done and by the time 5 p.m. rolls around I am exhausted and wondering where my day went. AND on those days off I will sometimes become irritated at myself and bitter at the chores. Is that the heart and attitude I want to be walking around with all day? Do I want to be the wife that stresses herself out because she is running around, being busy-busy-busy and not greeting her husband with a smile because she has stretched herself too thin? Absolutely not! So I am wanting to dive into this book, not only to help myself integrate a solid cleaning schedule but to also reflect and ask God to change my heart to where I am content in Him, what I have, and what He asks me to do....whatever that may be, even if it is laundry.

I downloaded this book about a year ago but have always pushed it to the wayside but the other day I cracked open my Kindle (not quite as catchy as cracking open a book, eh?) and found it. I thought it would be the perfect time to read and take on the Mary/Martha challenges since we are entering into a new month. The really fun part is that I mentioned this to my mom and she said she wanted to do it as well. Then she told my aunt who told my cousin and now I think they are on board! It will be great to have the support and accountability. August is becoming my 31 Days to Clean Challenge month. I have a whole notebook dedicated to this and in the beginning of my notes, I have my mission cleaning statement written down. Sarah encourages the reader to think about why she wants a clean home, write down those reasons, and then to create a mission statement. She even says to print it out all fancy, maybe even frame it to where you can see it on the daily. At first I thought maybe that would be a little corny but then I realized that I won't get anywhere with that attitude so I have my mission statement created. By the end of August, I may tweak it a bit depending on what I have learned from the experience then I will jazz up my final copy. Would you like to read the rough draft??

               "By finding the balance of 'have to' and 'want to', my heart's desire is to have a house that others walk into and instantly feel at home. To create a space where goals are able to be reached, rest is abounding, order is the norm, and where I can become the woman God wants me to be without worrying about what I have to do next."

I would love it if you joined me on this journey! Download Sarah's book "31 Days to Clean: Having a Martha House the Mary Way" here or directly from your e-reader, read the intro along with the first chapter, and start asking yourself why you want a clean home. Create your mission statement and feel free to share it with me. It would be great to see where everyone is coming from with this topic! Then tomorrow is DAY 1! I am going to try to update you all as much as possible either here, on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram so be sure to follow me to see the good, the bad, and most certainly, the ugly.

Thanks for reading, have a good night, and let the cleaning begin! :-)


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment