Monday, September 9, 2013

DIY NO-STICK SHREDDED CHEESE

Helllllloooooo, Birdies! I hope everyone had a beautiful and fun filled weekend! :-) Today, I thought I'd quickly share with you a trick I have been using for a few years now. I love to shred my own cheese but I detest how,after time, it can all stick together. Ugh! Do you hate that too or am I the only one?





I choose to shred my own cheese because:

* Blocks of Cheese Are Typically Cheaper Than Pre-Shredded
* You Get More Cheese Out of a Whole Block Than a Bag
* Fresh Cheese Melts Better and really...isn't that the point? ;-)

 So how does one get the best of both worlds? The yummy cheese minus the icky extras? I'll show you....

1. Start out with a big block of all natural cheese. This particular hunk was quite huge so I cut mine in half to make it easier to shred.


2. Pull out a glass container and sprinkle in the tiniest bit of all natural, organic flour or powdered milk. Close the lid and shake so the flour/milk dusts the sides. Open the lid and pour out any excess flour, set aside.

I ended up only using about a quarter of this flour. 
3. Get to shredding! Once shredded, fill the container layer by layer. In between each layer, sprinkle in teeny-weeny (yeah, just typed that) amounts of the same flour or powdered milk. Then SHAKE it up and you're done!!!


After a minute or two of putting in some elbow grease, you end up with freshly shredded, delicious cheese. I don't think I will ever go back to the pre-bagged alternative since I've been doing this. Just so you know, the flour does not add any texture or additional flavor to the cheese (especially if used sparingly.)


The batch pictured is only about a half a block of cheese and should last for quite some time. I just wrapped the other half and popped it back in the freezer. You can do the same. Simply defrost when ready then shred away!

I hope you find this tip helpful and if you would like to see more posts like this in the future, please comment below!

What kind of cheese do you normally buy? Do you think you will try this method? 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for that great tip. I don't like sticky, slimy grated cheese either. Never thought of using flour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I am not the only one. Hope this helps! :-)

      Delete
  2. How long would this be good in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I am not sure because it gets gobbled up before I get a chance to track it. haha I would imagine a good month if stored properly. I will have to test it out then will get back to you. Thanks for reading! :-)

      Delete
  3. You are welcome! Thanks for reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this, great tip ! Never thought of this too.

    ReplyDelete