Thursday, June 26, 2014

D.I.Y. DECOR: 4TH OF JULY FUN


Hello, hello! We are coming up on one of my favorite holidays so of course I had to decorate then share with all of you. Independence Day has always held a special place in my heart since childhood. When I reflect on this day so many memories abound of cook-out's, pool time, yummy food, being with family, and of course seeing fireworks. I wanted to bring some of that fun spirit to my make believe mantle a.k.a the shelf on my coat rack. Improvisation is a wonderful thing, Folks.

I wanted there to be a focal piece to this area and then to have everything else play off of that idea. I sketched and thought then sketched some more and finally came up with this little number...actually four of them to be exact.


I knew I wanted the year 1776 to be a part of the main design so I looked and looked through every craft store in my area to find wooden numbers. I found some options but they were either not exactly what I had envisioned or the price was too salty for me. Keep in mind, I like doing things on a budget. After hitting craft store #3, I was about to give up when I found a pack of these wooden slats from Hobby Lobby for $2.99. Six come in a pack and I can easily paint the other sides for different holidays. Versatile and inexpensive is always a win-win for me! A back ground for my numbers was needed and I knew exactly what would do the trick...a crisp, white frame with a burlap insert. Once again I searched high and low but ended up finding a burlap placemat from Hobby Lobby for $3.99. I used a 40% off coupon and left a happy camper. I just cut it to size and added some white dots with a pencil eraser. That was a last minute decision but I am glad I went for it. I added a simple swag with bakers twine (that I got from a Christmas bin at Target a few years ago) and red, white, and blue paint chips.



Once my center piece was in place, I added some extras. From the Dollar Tree I found a silver plate that I painted with chalk paint and adorned with {poorly} written saying: "LET FREEDOM RING!" Note to self: Work on caligraphy/chalk skills.


From there, I added in the accessories I picked up from around the house or that I quickly crafted. Even though the items I diy'd aren't perfect looking, they are authentic to me and I think that is really important. Whether it be in your everyday home decor or for special occassions, personality shining through is never a bad thing.



For more details and some extra tips & tricks, be sure to check out my YouTube video as well.



And let's not forget thinking about all our country has been through. As I get older, Independence Day becomes more sweet to me. I understand more and more the freedoms we have and appreciate those who have fought for our rights to remain a free country. Thank you to all those who serve now, have served and for those families who have supported their loved ones. I hope you all have a safe, happy and blessed 4th of July!!

Thanks for stopping by!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment